Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Oobleck

When planning for our week of Dr. Seuss books and activities,  I wanted to include the book, Bartholomew and the Oobleck.  It was not available at the time.  I was notified recently that it was at my library branch, so I checked it out.  It's a fairly long story, so I offered the condensed version.  In the story, the king wants something different to fall from the sky, so his magicians develop a substance called oobleck.  It begins to rain oobleck and this sticky material causes lots of problems.  I offered to make preschool oobleck (two parts glue and one part liquid starch) and the children have loved this material.  It's stretchy, sticky, rubbery and bouncy.  



Something new at the writing table
We've had hand held magnifiers and stand magnifiers in the classroom recently.  I moved the stand magnifiers to the writing table to see how the children would use them.  Some children used them like a stencil, tracing the square base.  Others peered through the magnifying lens as they drew and wrote on their paper.  The discussion between the children at the table and the excitement of a new activity prompts me to plan for more serendipitous opportunities.  


Fort Building
Mrs. Ronda added some sheets to the sandbox area.  With a little guidance, the children used the sheets to create private spaces perfect for giggling with their friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to The GHCC blog! Thank you for your comment, if you have any questions about our program, see our ABOUT page for more information.